Wednesday 2 September 2009

Sword Drill: Proverbs 12-14

Hi folks. You'll be pleased to hear that the drills have been continuing, to some degree of success or other. Also, in other related news, I've also started reading the passages by myself, without the need to rely on the man reading it to me!

Passage is: Proverbs 12-14
SAYsoaps Day 245

OBSERVATION:

There's far too much wisdom in these passages to go through every point saying "yes, that's true... and that one's true... that one applies to me... etc". I noticed several similar comments on the SAYsoaps site. So instead, I'm just going to pick out a few that speak to me particularly at this moment.

One thing I will say, that another soaper commented, a lot of the sayings in these passages relate to the way of the righteous man and his reward (for man read person) and also the wise way to respond to discipline and correction (and also, therefore, to some degree criticism).

12:1 - "Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but he who hates correction is stupid." (All quotes NIV unless otherwise stated)

12:10 - "A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel."

12:15 - "The way of a fool seems right to him, but a wise man listens to advice."

12:16 - "A fool shows his annoyance at once, but a prudent man overlooks an insult."

12:28 - "In the way of righteousness there is life; along that path is immortality."

13:3 - "He who guards his lips guards his life, but he who speaks rashly will come to ruin."

13:18 - "He who ignores discipline comes to poverty and shame, but whoever heeds correction is honoured."

13:24 - "He who spares the rod hates his son, but he who loves him is careful to discipline him." (Note the phrasing "careful to discipline him", this isn't about beating your kids, this is about disciplining them - it's slightly different!)

14:11 - "The house of the wicked will be destroyed, but the tent of the upright will flourish."

14:27 - "The fear of the LORD is a fountain of life, turning a man from the snares of death."

14:32 - "When calamity comes, the wicked are brought down, but even in death the righteous have a refuge."

A lot more quotes than I wanted to include, but just a sample of the wisdom contained in the Bible - oh that I would read it more and learn more from it!!

APPLICATION:

I think there's three important things to take from todays passage:
  1. Be disciplined, enjoy discipline
  2. Live a righteous life
  3. Remember that the Bible is filled with wisdom and therefore use it!
PRAYER:

Father God, help me to seek your wisdom. Help me to seek to live your way not to walk the way that seems right, but the way that is right. As I walk along your way, create in me righteousness, that I might have all the the wise and righteous man can have and not be counted amongst the foolish and the wicked. Draw me ever in towards your word, that I would learn wisdom from it and discipline. In Jesus' name I ask all these things. AMEN!

No comments: